I'm going to be real with you, I 100% copied this shirt from Lauren of Lladybird. I saw her Archer in this fabric and I had to have it. This fabric is my PERFECT plaid flannel. It is 100% what I've always wanted out of a plaid: American colors, big and bold, predominantly red. It's so rustic, but still polished.
The pattern is the Archer Button Up from Grainline Studios. This is the 3rd shirt I've made using this pattern (this was the first, this was the second), but I don't think I've quite corrected the fit yet. Overall I am pleased with how the body fits, but I think the sleeves are slightly bigger than I would like, especially through the forearm. I'm thinking I might try closing the pleats next time?
I actually finished this a few weeks ago, just in time for a trip to Baltimore to visit a friend. I definitely was rushing to get it done in time to take it with, and stayed up until 1am the night of my 6am flight to set the buttonholes. I haven't done that nonsense since college! But it was worth it! Because I was going the weekend of the Jonas blizzard, our travel plans got moved around and we went to Philadelphia airport first, and then took the train up to Baltimore. I hadn't gotten a chance to sew on the buttons but I was totally wearing the shirt open over a t-shirt anyway. So on the train, I pulled it off, got out my thread and buttons, and started sewing away. Definitely got some funny looks from my seat-mate!
I'm glad I pushed so hard to finish it, too, because when we were snowed in that weekend, I wanted nothing more than to wear this cozy thing!
While I was careful to plaid-match at CF and at the side seams, I did not at all plan the matching from sleeves to body. Accidents that look time-consuming? Yes, please!
One other thing I did differently from last time was to change up the placket from the continuously bound one that comes with the pattern. Instead, I followed this tutorial from Off the Cuff. While I am pretty pleased with the results, I think this method might not be a good fit for fabric this bulky, because there isn't a way to trim the excess from the bottom of the placket, and there is quite a bit of fabric tucked under from making the point. I also think I made my placket a little too long, but since I wear my shirtsleeves rolled up 90% of the time anyway, it doesn't matter!
The back yoke, pocket, and front placket were all cut on the bias. All seams are flat-felled, which I love, because it makes the shirt feel like it could last a lifetime. But... maybe not at the rate that I've been wearing this. No biggie, I already ordered more Kaufman Flannel (different colorways) for more Archer shirts. Not even sorry.