Before I get to the juicy subject of prom dresses, I'd like to show my most recent addition to the Matey Couture "collection".
It just a jumper top, made out of extra black & white polka dotted jersey I had lying around. It was fast and pretty easy, and I just made it up as I went along. The result:
Okay, prom! I ordered fabric online, and when it came I found that it was the most obnoxiously bright red satin I could have gotten. I don't plan on ordering fabric online again if I can help it. Luckily I was going into the city the next day, so I was able to buy more fabric in the correct color. I also picked up the notions, petticoat fabric, and pattern that I needed.
Just so that the world knows it: I despise commercial patterns. In theory, they are a wonderful, beautiful, and glorious help. But put to practice, and you realize that pattern companies are simply out to get you. Okay, huge exaggeration. I wouldn't be able to sew like I can right now if not for patterns. It was only in the last year that I've been learning to sew without patterns. I usually don't mind patterns-- you can get the right curve and shape to make your own pattern from them. But recently I've had sizing issues.
See, I'm usually an 8 in pattern sizes (which are different than manufactured clothing sizes), but when I looked at this pattern envelope, it spotted my measurements at a 12. For those who don't know, patterns usually have different envelopes for different sizes (i.e. 4-6-8-10 in one envelope, 12-14-16-18 in another). So I had to buy a larger pattern envelope, and when I got home and made my mock-up, it was well over two inches too large. I was luckily able to adjust the paper pattern piece and have it all turn out alright, but really! Why would they lie about the sizes?
Excuse the rant. It's late and it was frustrating. In case anyone was wondering, the pattern I used was McCalls 5001. The product is a lovely dress, and I didn't know how to shape the curves just right without a pattern, so I needed to buy it. In any case, it turned out okay, as you can see in the pictures.
It's out of burgundy/black irridescent polyester taffetta-like fabric. I sewed the ribbon on in back because I didn't want to bother with actual loops or eyelets. This has a cleaner finish, anyway.
And here is my sketch of the finished product. I'll be making a huge, poofy petticoat to go under, with layers of lace and a bow atop the gathers.
It's going so fast! I started last night (and ended up sewing until midnight, so I got at least a good four hours in then), continued this afternoon and evening, and will maybe have it done Monday or Tuesday. And I'll be sure to post pictures of myself all gussied up for prom in it in the beginning of May.
A project you might see me posting soon is a cassette tape wallet, as shown in this tutorial. Check it out--it looks awesome and not too hard!
Other news include the small but awesome fact that I can give you a link to my shop (which isn't actually an Etsy shop yet, just a profile, but I'm working on it!): http://www.mateycouture.etsy.com/! I'm hoping to have it up and running by the tenth of May.